Protocols at Culver City Orthodontics to mitigate COVID exposure and transmission
Dear Culver City Orthodontics Family,
We understand that during these uncertain times, you may have some concerns about visiting the orthodontist. We want you to know that your safety and our team’s safety are our number one priority. We are following the current CDC and ADA guidelines to make sure we are doing everything we can to mitigate the risk of infection and exposure at our office. The information below is an overview of our current guidelines and COVID Protocols at Culver City Orthodontics:
- VIRTUAL APPOINTMENTS. We are using a virtual appointment platform for any type of appointment that does not need to be “in-person.” You can access our virtual visit platform via our website: www.culverortho.com (the virtual visit link will pop up within 3 seconds of opening the website). This website is hipaa compliant and will allow you to send photos to our doctors with any questions or concerns. Our doctors are available around the clock to review photos and answer questions that arise. Our doctors are also available for zoom calls as needed. Retainer checks, Invisalign checks, rubber band checks, growth and development checks and initial consultations can be done via this platform.
- IF YOU DON’T FEEL WELL, STAY HOME. If you are having any symptoms that seem unusual for you, please stay home. What you think might be allergies, could be the beginning of a COVID Infection. Don’t take a chance. If you are feverish, have body aches, a headache, chills, or any other symptoms of COVID-19, please stay home.
- BE ON TIME. We are limiting the number of people allowed in our office, and thus are decreasing the number of patients we can see in our office by more than 50%. We are utilizing different spaces in our office to keep patients separated appropriately. Because of this, we kindly ask that you be ON TIME for your appointment and also have patience with us when scheduling your appointments.
- CALL 310-837-5900 UPON ARRIVAL TO CHECK-IN We are trying to limit the number of people in our reception area to help with social distancing. Patients are required to call the office upon arrival to “check-in,” and will be informed of when the chair is available. We kindly ask that you wait in your car or outside until your chair is available.
- ONLY ONE PARENT/GUARDIAN CAN BE WITH A CHILD. In our efforts to limit the number of people in the clinic, we ask that only the patient enter the clinic; however, for our younger patients who feel more comfortable with a parent or guardian, we kindly ask that you not bring siblings, friends or other people to the appointment.
- MASKS ARE REQUIRED Masks covering the nose and mouth are required for all people in the office at all times (we will ask our patients to remove their masks only when in the dental chair and when we are ready to work in the mouth).
- SOCIALLY DISTANCED SEATING. For in-office appointments, we are seating patients so that they are at least 10 feet away from another patient chair.
- COVID-SYMPTOM SCREENING FOR ALL TEAM MEMBERS DAILY Daily temperature and symptom checks are conducted for all team members immediately upon entering the facility.
- PRE-SCREENING OF ALL PATIENTS Pre-screening of all patients and people accompanying the patient for COVID-symptoms and exposure. Patients will be asked to fill out a form prior to their visit to check for symptoms. Everyone who enters the clinic will also have their temperature checked upon arrival.
- HAND WASHING We are enforcing hand washing for all people (patients, guardians and team members) entering the clinic. There is also hand sanitizer readily available throughout the office. Please feel free to use it.
- WE HAVE INSTALLED NEW EQUIPMENT TO DECREASE AEROSOLS IN THE OFFICE AND HAVE IMPLEMENTED HEIGHTENED DISINFECTION PROTOCOLS:
- Implementation of medical grade air scrubbers and purifiers throughout the office.
- Installation of a new and stronger vacuum for our high-speed suction.
- Use of a new dental extra-oral suction machine to use when performing aerosol-generating procedures to help decrease any aerosols in the office.
- Elimination of any splatter-generating procedures (dental procedures have been modified to eliminate use of the air/water syringe, which increases the amount of splatter).
- Use of a ULV fogger with hypochlorous acid to disinfect aerosols and surfaces throughout the office.
- More frequent disinfection of high contact surfaces such as the check-in desk, counters, door knobs and handles.
- Plexiglass has been installed at our front desk to help create a physical barrier between our patients and our administrative team.
- INCREASED PPE FOR OUR ENTIRE TEAM. Our administrative team will be wearing masks at all times in the office. Our clinical team will be wearing KN95/N95 masks, face shields, gloves and gowns over their scrubs when working on patients.
- COME WITH TEETH ALREADY BRUSHED. Due to the ADA and CDC guidelines, we have eliminated our tooth-brushing station due to potential splatter and have converted it into a hand-washing station so please be sure to brush prior to your visit with us.
- WE WILL ASK YOU TO SIGN A CONSENT TO TREATMENT FORM. Please be assured that our office has always met or exceeded the requirements set forth for sterilization and infection control from the CDC and OSHA, and will continue to do so. As with the transmission of any communicable disease, it is possible to contract COVID-19 infection in any public space. Due to the nature of orthodontic treatment, a 6 foot distance is not possible between the orthodontic patient and clinical staff/doctor. Re-entering public life comes with some risks that we all must weigh, but we also want you to feel confident that our office is taking every step to keep our patient and team members safe during this difficult time.
- DELAYED TREATMENT FOR PATIENTS WITH UNDERLYING CONDITIONS If you, or a family member that you are in contact with, have any underlying conditions that put you at a higher risk of having a severe COVID infection, we advise that you delay treatment until your physician believes that it is safe for you to return to the office.
We look forward to getting back to work and continuing to work on all of your beautiful smiles!
Dr. Borenstein, Dr. Fell and the entire team at Culver City Orthodontics